In 1950, Bangor and Aroostook commissioned Magor Car Company to build 300 insulated heated plug-door boxcars for potato service. An additional 150 cars were ordered from Pacific Car & Foundry in 1953. The cars were equipped with ventilators and charcoal heaters. New Haven piggybacked an order of 100 cars with the PC&F lot and factory-decorated its cars in the State of Maine scheme to save money on the purchase. The cars carried potatos in the winter and paper products in the summer.
The model is injection molded plastic with etched brass roofwalk and brake platform. Both builder variations, Magor and PC&F, are represented and utilized based on the prototype. These cars ride at the prototypically-correct height above the rails, on InterMountain ASF A-3 50-ton friction-bearing trucks fitted with low-profile metal wheelsets. The model is equipped with body-mounted Kadee© Quality Products #148 whisker couplers and Hi-Tech Details air hoses.
PC&F "State of Maine" as-built scheme, 1953
with charcoal heater